Friday, June 05, 2015

And So, The End Is Near

True graduates from high school later today - and none too soon, judging by this yearbook photo. The past week has been filled with fun events and poignant moments.

It began with the final band concert - the last school concert that Anna and I will attend as parents. We've probably been to 40 or 50 of these and I've enjoyed them all.

True leaves the stage.

Afterward, the band teachers held an award ceremony for the graduating seniors, as they always do at the end of the year. This is part of what his band teacher, Mr. Gavlik, said:

"True or False, this person never misses a rehearsal or is late to class. True or False, this person is always prepared for  assignments and gets them in on time. True or False, this person has the intentions of doing well. True or False, this person always watches the conductor during pieces - I'm not sure if he's actually playing while he's watching, but he's watching! But we're so glad he's been part of the band. He's a fine musician. I think he really has the ability to become an excellent musician if he continues with it. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and I've enjoyed having him in band. True."


The False Award.

Later, Mr. Gavlik gave a very touching speech about all the things he'll remember from this class of seniors. Among other things, he said, "I'll always remember the look of concern on True's face when I'd confront him."

True, after the concert, with his friend, Arjun.

Later in the week, we attended the Senior Dinner.

Here True is in the elevator on our way.

His friends were all there, of course, and most of the parents, too.

It was fancy and fun and True was in high spirits.

With the old man, who put gel in his hair for the occasion!

With his proud mother.

The young prince, looking sharp.

Another angle.

There was a lot of picture taking on stage.

The commemorative photo.

With his friends after the photo.

At the end of the evening.

I'll miss him doing his homework on the couch ...

... and not doing his homework on the couch.

I'll miss the Archie comics in the bathroom.

And I'll miss his irritated hand blocking my incessant camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home