True in Beijing
True is studying Mandarin in Beijing. He is living with a Chinese family - a couple actually, whose daughter studied abroad in the U.S. years ago.
This is his room, which is typically Chinese. I've seen this furniture countless times. The family is actually quite wealthy. They have a relatively large apartment and at least one other place. But it is a typical Chinese home.
The kitchen is chaotic but is a very fancy kitchen as far as Chinese kitchens go.
True has taken to riding a bike to school, borrowing his home stay's bike. This is a view from his commute.
He has come over to my little apartment to visit a couple of times. This was during his first weekend in the city.
He seems to like coming over.
I make him burritos when he comes over. He actually called last Friday saying he was dying for a burrito!
After eating burritos on his first time over, we went out to eat donkey meat sandwiches and then Peking Duck. This is the duck place.
True loves Peking Duck, as do I - though I try not to eat it too often as it is very fattening.
Last weekend, he and the other students in his program went to the Great Wall.
They spent the night sleeping under the stars in the ruins of a guard tower.
It was a beautiful spot, as you can see from these photos.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home