Oodles Of Noodles and Yingyong
True and I went Christmas shopping in Stanley Market and stopped for some noodles in the little hole-in-the-wall place we sometimes go.
We had noodles with beef brisket and turnips. This is a bowl that I had there a few days earlier. True and I got flat noodles this time.
They are delicious, particularly with a spot of hot sauce. For drinks, we ordered two iced yinyongs (or yuanyang or yuenyueng, depending on your romanization). It is a mixture of tea and coffee with milk - a drink popular in Hong Kong.
I always thought yinyong was the Cantonese for 'ying yang,' the central male-female dichotomy of Eastern philosophy. But I discovered recently that it is the Chinese name for the Mandarin duck. According to Wikipedia, the drink is named after the duck because the ducks usually appear in pairs and the male and female look very different from each other.
Yinyong apparently first appeared in Hong Kong during the 1930s.
We also ordered a dish of curried fish balls.
This isn't perfect but gives you an idea of the place. You can see the napkins (a roll of toilet paper) hanging on the wall.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home