
After dropping Sky off at Kennedy Airport, I drove to Manhattan, stopping at Coney Island along the way. Coney means 'rabbit,' and the peninsula was once a popular rabbit hunting ground.

I had never been there. The boardwalk was mostly empty, as was the wide, wide beach. It was a lovely day.

I parked near The Cyclone, the famous roller coaster built in 1927. I hadn't realized that 'Coney Island' is a place with a collection of small amusement parks, not the name of an amusement park itself.

I walked out on the beach to the water's edge. It's a beautiful beach. In the background you can see the Parachute Jump, built for the 1939 New York World's Fair. It has been closed since 1968 but remains a Coney Island landmark.

Looking back, you can see The Cyclone on one side and the Wonder Wheel on the other. The Wonder Wheel opened in 1920.

It was a nice, quiet way to spend an hour or so. I'd like to see it at the height of summer.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home