
We visited Tokyo for the New Year holiday. Todd came with us. I didn't have a camera and only have these shots from the family iPhones. I am waiting for Todd to send the pictures he took - especially of the sumo wrestlers!
This is the Senso temple in Asakusa on New Year's eve. The first temple was built on the site in 645, making this the oldest temple in Tokyo. Anna, Sky and I went there for a few hours before the crowds became unbearable. It was fun.

Otherwise, we did a lot of walking.
Todd and I spent a morning at Tsukiji fish market.

We also visited the Meiji and Yasukuni shrines, which were decked out for the New Year festivities. I don't remember which one this picture was taken at.

We went to a little Okonomiyaki restaurant...

... and ate okonomiyaki! Okonomi means "what you like" or "what you want," and yaki means "grilled" or "cooked." It's a kind of egg batter and vegetable pancake.

You eat okonomiyaki with apple and prune based tonkatsu sauce, popularly known as "Bulldog sauce," because that's the most famous brand.

We also visited a manga convention, which was full of people with unhealthy obsessions.

We had coffee and cake at Almond, the famous cafe on a street corner in Roppongi.

It will soon be torn down.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home