
I went to Hong Kong and Beijing to meet some people. It was very exciting to be back in Hong Kong. I didn't have much time out and about, but I did manage to take the Star Ferry. This is a picture of Hong Kong. The Bank of China building, outlined in white lights, used to seem so tall.

The seats on the Star Ferry haven't changed, though.

Nor have the ferries themselves.

The notorious Chungking Mansions in Tsim Sha Tsui is still there. It's a warren of cheap hostels and tiny restaurants. I stayed there once when I was in my twenties. Note that one of the hostels is called Chungking House De Luxe Hotel.

Nearby, the Rolls Royces continue to deliver people to the Peninsula Hotel.

The lobby hasn't changed.

The street life of Hong Kong is still the same.

I ate roast duck and barbecued pork on rice at this place. I have always loved that kind of food.

The taxi line at the Pacific Place Mall is still long. Anna and I spent a lot of time waiting here.

The view at dawn from my hotel window.

I flew to Beijing. I didn't have much time out and about there either. I did manage to eat Beijing Duck, though.

The food in Beijing has gotten more varied. These are grilled silk worms and grilled cicadas. I don't remember ever seeing these in the capital, though they were always around in the provinces.

Yes, grilled seahorses and scorpions. Clearly, novelty food.

I bought the boys two of these kites. They are cheap versions of the elaborate mulit-panelled dragon kites that people fly over Tiananmen Square.

I remember riding my bicycle in through Tiananmen gate.

I don't think you can do that anymore.

This is the martyrs' monument in the middle of the square (which has been broken up by a temporary viewing stand). The building outlined in lights was the Bank of England before 1949 and the Bank of China afterwards. I once had an account there. I remember trying to withdraw some of my money one time and being told that I wasn't allowed to.

Tiananmen means Gate of Heavenly Peace.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home