Sunday, April 08, 2007

Prague, redux

I spent the week before Easter in Prague and the Czech Republic. I liked it better this time than the last time I was there.

I still didn't get much sightseeing in, but I did walk a lot. This is a picture of one of the guards outside Prague castle, which sits on a hill overlooking the city.

I stopped for a classical music concert in this church in the castle compound while on my way back to town after meeting the foreign minister. He was an odd man with a large moustache and an imposing behind, dressed in a sweater vest and tie.

The concert was nice, but I spent most of it trying to keep from dozing off or trying to corral my wandering mind back to the music.

This is the gate to Charles Bridge, one of the city's most famous landmarks. It is lined with blackened baroque statues.

I attended a play in Pilzen, home of Pilzner beer. I didn't understand a word, but I'm writing a story about it anyway. I went out with a stag party from the U.K., which was interesting.

On my last day, I hired a car and driver and went to a nineteenth century spa town once visited by Mark Twain. I had a bath in King Edward VII's bathtub. Then I rode back to Prague to catch my flight to Paris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home