Thursday, July 27, 2006

Artillery and Bombs

Lynsey Addario took the picture above. In the background, behind the yellow artillery shells, are black artillery shells with yellow diamonds on them. Those are cluster shells, which spray smaller bombs on impact. Several countries have banned them because they increase the chances of civilian casualties. The U.S. continues to use them, though. I saw them in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Artillery in a field. There is a battery near the kibbutz guest house where I'm staying (along with a lot of other journalists, including the photogenic Anderson Cooper of CNN). The artillery bangs away much of the night, rattling the window panes. On my first night, I couldn't tell the difference between incoming rockets and outgoing artillery and actually sat in the bathroom for a while figuring it was the safest place in the flimsy guest house.

The 'hard car' that we (the photographer and I) drive around in.

A 500-lb bomb explodes over Lebanon as Israeli troops prepare to cross the border.

Unloading tank rounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home