Sunday, April 09, 2006

Brunch and a Bullfight

We went to brunch at the Ritz Hotel after failing to get True to cooperate on a more adventurous outing.

It was a nice brunch, outside on the patio. The weather was beautiful. There were a lot of glasses.

It was good orange juice. There is a lot of fresh orange juice in Madrid. There are a lot of fresh strawberries and cured hams, too.

But our post-brunch effort at an outing again ran into trouble. We did go to Madrid's wax museum. I couldn't talk anyone into a bullfight, so I went alone to the Plaza de Toros. It's a wonderful old building.

I splurged on a ringside seat, though one in the sun. The shade is more expensive. For the first two bullfights a middle aged Japanese woman sat beside me clapping loudly and shouting 'Sugoi!' She left after the third bull and I had my little section to myself.

The matadors did their dance, though it's early in the season and the matadors on show weren't very adept at delivering the coup de grace. The crowd let them know.

But all in all, it's an interesting spectacle. I imagine someday it will disappear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home